Tuesday 13 November 2012

Miami Nice

Arrived Miami yesterday, 80 degrees and a bigger contrast to New York in one country, I could not imagine.

Spent this evening listening to Junot Diaz talk to a couple of hundred people about his novel, his work and his life. I read Drown when it first came out. I loved it. I'm delighted to say, I liked the author too.

The Miami Book Fair goes on all week but I'll fly out before Martin Amis does his signing. Nothing personal, just time to move on. Chicago beckons, though I'm not so sure about heading into freezing temperatures again. Something keeps prompting me to rent a car and drive to the Keys instead.

I'm in a little hotel, cheap and friendly. I look out towards the Port. There are huge cruise liners waiting patiently in the deep water harbor. People here don't walk so much as mooch. I like it. I like the warmth. I like the sun. I like that the wind, strong as it is, seems cooling here, not threatening. At least not at the moment. Oddly enough, Miami is probably the one city in America that knows all too much about super storms and hurricanes. But they don't look too concerned for the moment and I can go with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment